Thursday, February 4, 2010

2010 Quilter's Winter Olympics

Welcome to the 2010 Quilter's Winter Olympics! These Olympics are dedicated to our stashes and projects sitting in our sewing rooms that are just waiting to be started. The purpose is to pick a NEW project that will be challenging for you AND that can be started and completed during the Winter Olympics. Here is how it will work:

The Dates: February 12-28, 2010
Before the Olympics Begin:
Select a quilting project of any size that is challenging for you. NO UFOs! Some may challenge themselves to do a wall hanging and other a huge quilt. Prior to opening ceremonies, you may only select your pattern, pick your fabrics and prewash your fabrics if that is what you prefer. ALSO, please post a comment with what your project will be and pictures are welcome! (Posting to the blog is very easy. However, you must send me an email so that I can provide you with instructions and a unique email.)
When do you start?
You may start your project at the beginning of the opening ceremonies in your time zone. For most of us, that means you can begin cutting during the opening ceremonies. (So make sure your rotary cutter is loaded with a fresh blade and ready to go!)
When do I have to be done?
You must be COMPLETELY finished by the end of the closing ceremonies on February 28, 2010. If you time it right, you could be sewing on the binding and label while watching TV.

Prizes:
Prizes are available to those who choose to contribute. I am requesting that everyone mail me 1 fat quarter or an item from the sewing room you feel would make a great prize! Participants will need to post a picture of their final project by March 1, 2010 to be eligible for a prize. Then everyone will be asked to vote on the projects. The three projects that receive the highest number of votes will receive a GOLD, SILVER and BRONZE prize. Winners will be posted no later than Sunday, March 14, 2010 and prizes will be mailed no later than Monday, March 15, 2010.
If you do not want to contribute to the prizes, please feel free to still participate just for fun!

Questions:
If you have questions, please email ayarur@yahoo.com. Since this is the first time we do this, clarifications and modifications will be made as needed.

Feel free to let us all know how your project is going during the games and to post pictures of your progress. (Please email me for directions on how to post to the blog. It is very simple to do but you must get a unique email from me to do it). Good Luck and let the preparations begin!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Anna this challenge sounds like fun! Would a cut up kit that I haven't started qualify? If not I have a wall hanging size pattern called "It takes a village" from Textile Treasures that I've been wanting to start. I'm looking forward to reading your blog! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have project that came precut and that you have not started, then it qualifies and you are one step ahead of the rest of us. Lucky you! Looking forward to having you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, you mentioned that the quilt has to be quilted and binding on. How should we do this if we have someone else do the quilting for us? I just want to make sure and not be DQed as the olympics would do to cheaters.
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggled with this dilema myself since I also send quilts out to be quilted on occasion. However, the project you select for this challenge should be something that you will finish and quilt yourself. I would advise a smaller project and would consider the quilting aspect as your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ann! Sooo excited. I have choosen my pattern - FUN & DONE "Zip Strip". I am using batiks, and I am excited.... Cannot wait to post a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. one more question.. I have a question and I know I am being technical. I was reading the schedule and if I understand correctly the opening ceremonies are at 9pm (est), but there is a qualifying round of ski jump at 1 pm (est). So when is the offical start time of the contest? Just making sure. Toni

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea. i will be cheering you on from the sidelines. I have so many already started quilts that need to get finished that I just can't start a new one. I will be trying to complete a couple of those already started projects.
    Good luck to all the quilters!

    ReplyDelete